The university offers online Pre-Departure training, called International Pre-Departure and Post-Experience through OWL, for all Western, King’s, Huron, and Brescia students participating in University sanctioned international experiences. To successfully complete this, students must achieve at least 80% in the final quiz from two attempts. An electronic 'Certificate of Completion' is issued under the 'Certification' tab to students who successfully complete the final quiz and must be uploaded to the student's Travel Registry entry through Atlas.
Completion of this training prior to travel is a requirement under Western's Safety Abroad Policy.
All outbound exchange students are required to complete the following 9 modules and submit their certificate to email@example.com:
- Academic Preparation
- Accommodation & Accessibility
- Cyber Security
- Health & Wellness
- Travel Logistics
- Travel & Medical Insurance
- Safety Abroad
- Location Specific Resources
- Intercultural Engagement
Two additional modules that students are encouraged to complete are:
- Gender Norms & Sexual Violence
- Critical & Ethical Global Engagement
Steps to complete International Pre-Departure and Post-Experience
- Log onto OWL
- Click “Membership” on the left bar
- Click the “Joinable Sites” tab at the top of this page
- Search for “International Pre-Departure and Post-Experience"
- Join "International Pre-Departure and Post-Experience"
- Review modules
- Attempt Final Quiz under “Quiz” on the left bar
- Achieve at least 80% from two attempts
- Access your ‘Certificate of Completion’ under “Certification” on the left bar
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org or 519-661-2111 ext. 89309 if you have any difficulty.
The Gender Norms & Sexual Violence (GNSV) and Critical & Ethical Global Engagement (CEGE) modules include a face-to-face workshop, hosted by Western International, that is open to all students You are not required to attend, but are welcome and encouraged to. If you plan to attend the workshop, you must complete the online modules prior to the workshop.
Please visit Western International’s website for further details.