Hugh Mellon Excellence in Research Award
The King’s University College Hugh Mellon Excellence in Research Award is named in honor of Dr. Hugh Mellon, late Associate Professor of Political Science at King’s University College at Western. This award is designed to recognize the scholarly work of a faculty member at King’s which reflects Dr. Mellon’s avid academic engagement, his pursuit of knowledge and its dissemination through publication, and his willingness to ever renew his research through innovative partnerships and consistent commitment to research excellence.
Objective of the award
The award intends to acknowledge scholars in various stages of their professional lives. The Hugh Mellon Excellence in Research Award is designed to recognize a colleague who has earned distinction for herself/himself and for King’s University College as a result of the outstanding characteristics and significance of their research.
Criteria for the Award
Nominee must hold a Tenured or Tenure-track Appointment at King’s.
The following criteria will structure the committee’s definition of Excellence
- Quality of scholarly production as measured by peer-reviewed publications, or its impact on policy etc.
- National and/or international recognition of the research
- The influence and the impact of the research upon the field and related scholarship
- The innovation and originality of the research
- The impact of the work on the discipline in relation to the stage of the researcher’s career
- Demonstration of exceptional promise for early career researchers
- Sustained production of research
- Dissemination and communication of research productivity through conferences and workshops.
- Mentorship and leadership in research excellence
- Recognition of Research Excellence through external funding received from Tri-Council and other funding agencies
- Participation in national and international research networks and collaboration
The successful nominee
- Must be outstanding in research and scholarship
- Must provide clear evidence of outstanding achievement in research and scholarship
Nomination Process and Deadline
Each nomination package must be submitted by February 26th and include:
- A one-page letter of nomination signed by the nominator and including a minimum of two additional signatures of other supporters, and including the rationale of why the nominee merits this award.
- Any other relevant documentation which provides direct evidence in support of the nomination beyond documentation required from the nominee
- Upon receipt of the nomination packages, the Chair of FRAC will contact nominees to congratulate them on being nominated for an award and confirm with each nominee that she/he accepts the nomination. If the nominee accepts the nomination, the nominee will provide to the Chair of the Award Committee:
- a cover letter (maximum 3-page letter) outlining outstanding achievements and evidence of excellence in research and scholarship with reference to the criteria
- One external reviewer’s letter of support
- any evidence that demonstrates research, creativity or scholarship excellence.
- Please submit nomination packages to: MellonAward@kings.uwo.ca