The Write Place
To writers who use The Write Place (TWP)
The WHO has declared that COVID -19 is a pandemic. Ahead of the university’s response, in the interests of the “social distancing” that is recommended for your protection and ours, we are making some changes at TWP.
Effective March 16, no new in-person tutoring appointments or drop-ins will be accepted (appointments already made will be honoured by e-mail). Instead, ALL tutoring requests MUST be made as follows:
- E-mail firstname.lastname@example.org using your UWO e-mail (personal e-mail requests will not receive a response). In the email subject line, write: Write Place Appointment OR Writing Specialist Appointment, depending on which one you want.
- Paste your assignment question or topic in the body of the e-mail. Also include the following information:
- Your full name
- Your UWO e-mail address
- The Course code for your assignment
- Your instructor’s name
- Is the submission a course requirement or for bonus marks?
- Is English your first or second language?
- In a sentence, explain what kind of help you want: help with brainstorming? Feedback on the argument? Notes on structure and organizing? Grammar advice?
- Attach your essay in WORD format or, if you need help with brainstorming, attach your notes on your topic.
Feedback will be given ONLY during our regular Monday-Friday tutoring hours, on a first-come-first-served basis. There will be no feedback during nights or weekends. Depending on the volume of requests, feedback may take between 2 and 48 hours.
The Write Place is a hub for writers and writing at King’s and part of the Department of English, French, and Writing. Our tutors, writing consultants, and writing specialists empower writers working on academic and creative projects, helping build the confidence that comes with improved reading, thinking, and communication skills. Our specialists also serve as resources on writing pedagogy for professors from all disciplines. We are committed to a vibrant, inclusive, and creative workplace culture that reflects the diversity at King’s.
What we do for students
The Write Place’s free and confidential service will help you develop the skills and confidence to take your writing to the next level.
Trained Peer Tutors, experienced Senior Tutors, and Writing Consultants help you
- brainstorm ideas before you have written a single word
- develop your thesis
- create an outline to structure your assignment
- integrate your research into your analysis
- follow citation style guidelines
- revise your writing to improve paragraphing and flow of ideas
- develop your proofreading skills (so you can fix grammar, spelling, punctuation).
We also invite you to
- explore your creative side with a peer tutor or with the Creative Writing Consultant
- address recurrent writing problems or improve your style with the Writing Consultants and Specialists
- discuss your résumés, personal statements, application letters with a peer tutor or Writing Consultant
- use Writing Room to work on your own, but with a Specialist’s expertise on tap
- attend our exciting socials and events, academic writing and creative writing workshops, and Visiting Author talks.
Book an appointment or drop in. We don’t edit essays and assignments; we help bring out the writer in you!
In 2018-19, we engaged with students through over 2500 appointments and drop-ins, and had around 400 attendees at our events and workshops.
Writing Program CoordinatorDr. Vidya Natarajan
Phone: 519-433-3491 ext. 4499