Campus and Community Social Worker
Campus and Community Social Worker at King’s
Who is the Campus and Community Social Worker?
Emily Carrothers is a registered social worker, and a graduate of King’s undergraduate and graduate degrees in social work. She has over 15 years of experience in community mental health, crisis and trauma response and offering supports to families.
What does the Campus and Community Social Worker do?
Emily helps King’s students navigate their issues. All students have issues sometimes, and at King’s we realize that occasionally the things that you are facing require someone who can help you to navigate systems, sort out who to talk to, or figure out life in a community.
Emily can assist with referrals for students on King’s campus, as well as in the community.
An example of issues that Emily can help with:
- responding to Gender-Based Violence
- helping students experiencing poverty, homelessness, food insecurity.
- helping students connect with medical care, find a family doctor, etc.
- helping students to navigate a return to campus after a hospitalization.
- helping students navigate recent physical and mental health diagnoses.
- helping students to cope with stress, transitions, and traumatic incidents through supportive referrals and navigating resources until we find what fits best.
- helping students to sort out their ‘next-best step’ in any situation that they are facing.
Emily facilitates workshops and presentations for the King’s community. These workshops can focus on a number of issues and are developed along with faculty or staff to create a workshop that fits what students need.
Emily also offers clinical supervision with the School of Social Work both on campus and in community with social work undergraduate and graduate students, including the SAFE program housed at King’s that offers free virtual counselling to parents of school-aged children in our community.
How to reach the Campus and Community Social Worker
If you are a student, you can contact Emily directly and she will help you to walk through whatever you are needing supports with at this time.
If you are a staff member or faculty member of the King’s community, you are welcome to contact Emily directly to refer a student or to have your own questions answered.