Technology Purchase Policy
NOTE: Faculty and staff purchases from College computer funds are not regulated by this policy. However, King’s ITS is available for consulting and can offer unique hardware support and academic software pricing.
It is College policy that all technology related items including computer hardware, peripherals that interface with computers, software and audio-visual equipment, regardless of funding source, are to be ordered through the Information Technology Services department. Please contact ITS to initiate the ordering process. IT staff will work with you to identify the best option(s) to meet your needs.
There are a number of advantages this policy offers:
- Cost savings: cost savings are realized through discounts, greater standardization, volume purchasing, staffing efficiencies, and other means;
- Inventory: purchases are logged for renewal, depreciation and proper disposal;
- Consulting services: IT is available to consult on the best options;
- Support: affords more effective and efficient maintenance and support with ongoing service records;
- Tracking: appropriate equipment and software licenses will be added to the College's inventory database maintained by IT for insurance and accounting purposes;
- Compatibility: insures compatibility between all components of the College network;
- Big picture: provides IT with knowledge of campus resources to facilitate collaboration with, and integration of, Information Technology.
Please note that IT will only purchase from approved vendors who provide supported products. College technology purchases are not made from individuals, through online auctions such as eBay or any similar type of purchasing source.