Student Library Assistant
Applications for 2022 - 2023 academic year are closed.
Student Library Assistants play a pivotal role in ensuring that the library achieves its vision to “support scholarship, intellectual growth and critical inquiry, and to promote a continuing love of learning in a welcoming space where people choose to gather”. In particular our SLAs are ambassadors of our library values to create a welcoming environment, provide consistent and quality day-to-day services, and support student success through access to resources and research help.
Cardinal Carter Library SLAs provide value to our community by ensuring our library’s hours of opening are some of the best on the broader Western campus and that our library continues to be the research and collaborative study destination of choice for learners across our community.
The CCL strives to create an accessible, safe and inclusive environment for all of our employees. For students in particular we seek to create a supportive and learner centered work environment to allow our student staff to engage in meaningful employment that supports lifelong learning and future career success.
Applicants must be King's undergraduate students who possess excellent customer service skills. Shifts occur during all hours of opening and are usually 3.5 to 4.5 hours in length. Promptness, punctuality, dependability and good organizational skills are important. Cash register and point-of-sale experience are preferred but not essential. The current rate of pay is $15.60 per hour.
We thank all those who apply, but only those selected for an interview will be contacted.
- Checks-in, checks-out and renews all circulating library material.
- Provides Tier 2 research assistance to library users; refers complex queries as appropriate.
- Shelves circulating material and shelf-reads sections of the circulating collection, as assigned.
- Retrieves requested material and prepares it for transfer to other libraries; prepares returned material for transfer to its home library.
- Accepts payments, fees, and fines; operates cash register and point-of-sale machine.
- Provides troubleshooting assistance to patrons using library equipment, printer/copiers, wireless access.
- Refills printer/copier paper, staples and other supplies, as necessary.
- Records relevant statistics for the library.
- Reports problems with library equipment or the facility, as appropriate.
- Performs other duties, as assigned.