Student Library Assistant
Applications for 2019 - 2020 academic year are open
Student Library Assistants play a pivotal role in ensuring that the library achieves it vision to “support scholarship, intellectual growth and critical inquiry, and to promote a continuing love of learning in a welcoming space where people choose to gather”. In particular our SLAs are ambassadors of our library values to create a welcoming environment, provide consistent and quality day-to-day services, and support student success through access to resources and research help.
Cardinal Carter Library SLAs provide value to our community by ensuring our library’s hours of opening are some of the best on the broader Western campus and that our library continues to be the research and collaborative study destination of choice for learners across our community.
The CCL strives to create an accessible, safe and inclusive environment for all of our employees. For students in particular we seek to create a supportive and learner centered work environment to allow our student staff to engage in meaningful employment that supports lifelong learning and future career success.
Student Library Assistants’ duties include checking library materials in and out to patrons, accepting payment for fines, shelving library materials, retrieving and preparing material for transfer to other libraries, keeping order in the Reserve collection, and providing some research assistance to library patrons.
Applicants must be King's undergraduate students who possess excellent customer service skills. Shifts may start from as early as 7:45 am and will end as late as midnight on both weekdays and weekends. Shifts will be no more than 6.5 hours and will usually be from 3.5 to 4.5 hours. Promptness, punctuality, dependability and good organizational skills are important. Cash register and point-of-sale experience are preferred but not essential. The current rate of pay is $14.56 per hour.
- Checks-in, checks-out and renews all circulating library material.
- Provides Tier 2 research assistance to library users; refers complex queries as appropriate.
- Shelves circulating material and shelf-reads sections of the circulating collection, as assigned.
- Retrieves requested material and prepares it for transfer to other libraries; prepares returned material for transfer to its home library.
- Accepts payments, fees, and fines; operates cash register and point-of-sale machine.
- Provides troubleshooting assistance to patrons using library equipment, printer/copiers, wireless access.
- Refills printer/copier paper, staples and other supplies, as necessary.
- Records relevant statistics for the library.
- Reports problems with library equipment or the facility, as appropriate.
- Performs other duties, as assigned