Welcome to University 101
KAMP is a student led program that aims to provide support and function as a University 101 for incoming students. KAMP seeks to improve students’ academic success and personal achievement through pairing incoming students with senior student mentors. Mentors are trained to provide support in many aspects of the transition process to university, such as academia, campus involvement, and basic life skills. The program presents an opportunity for senior students to give back to the King’s community and guide incoming students in their journey through academia.
3 Core Principles
- Enhance: help students develop a sense of autonomy and competency
- Foster: build relationships between students, faculty, and alumni
- Encourage: promote collaborative learning experiences that allow students to gain real world knowledge and skills
KAMP Mentors: helping students navigate through university
Mentors provide guidance on:
- Health and wellness
- Goal setting
- Extracurricular activities
- Course information
- Services at King’s
Student mentors provide an example of academic success and community involvement at King’s. The mentors’ exemplary experiences and high quality training allow them to provide valuable resources and guidance to incoming students.
Mentees will have the opportunity to meet other incoming students in group meetings with their mentor. In these meetings, timely student issues will be discussed to benefit the mentees.
Students will have monthly, individual meetings with their mentor to discuss their interests, their academic and career goals, and any concerns that arise.
Throughout the year, KAMP will host events such as academic workshops and social gatherings that mentees, mentors, and other members of the King’s community will be invited to attend.
- Teaching students the communication skills necessary to create professional relationships
- Connecting students with services available at King’s and ensuring that they have a support system on campus
- Reducing the number of students who experience academic distress by providing mentees with timely interventions designed to meet their needs
- “I think this is a valuable resource at King’s!”
- “I was given many tools for success in university which I plan on utilizing throughout the rest of my degree”
- “My mentor was knowledgeable, considerate, and a great support to me”
- “My mentor was really cool and was always there when I needed advice or to ask a question”
- “From the first meeting with my mentor, I felt comfortable with my transition from high school to university”
- “I would greatly recommend KAMP as it enabled me to get through my first year in university with general ease”
- “Seeing the growth they’ve made has been tremendously rewarding”
- “It was a great experience, and I would recommend the program for any student!”
- “This is definitely one of my favourite things about KAMP; the added level of comfort a mentor can offer. If we do not know the answer, you can bet that we will do whatever we can to help you find the answer you’re looking for”
- "I believe I had a positive influence by sharing my knowledge”