Creating a system that both allows you to create complex passwords and remember them is challenging. However, here are some options:
- Create a phrase like "I hope the Jays win the World Series in 2016!" Then, take the initials of each word and all numbers and symbols to create your password. So, that phrase would result in this: IhtJwtWSi2016! Better yet, if the system allows spaces, use the entire pass phrase as your password.
- Use a password generator, which come in the form of offline programs and web sites. Many password managers like LastPass or Dashlane also have built in password generator tools.
- As a minimum, have 12 characters which include a minimum of one symbol, one number and one capital letter.
Try various passwords at https://howsecureismypassword.net/ to get an idea of how complex they need to be for maximum security.
- Don’t share your password
- Don’t log into untrusted systems
- Use different passwords for different accounts
- Don’t get infected with malware which may harvest your passwords
- Use pass phrases if possible
- Use a password manager such as LastPass or Dashlane