(image: Alumni Court Residence)
  • International degree and exchange students
  • Twin/single beds
  • 1 double room
  • Several singles rooms
  • Fully furnished
  • Kitchen (basic appliances, dishes and cooking equipment provided)
  • Laundry, lounge space in-house
  • 3 full washrooms  (shared)
  • Mixed gender
  • Mandatory meal plan
  • Housekeeping provided
  • Located immediately beside campus

Residence Fees

Frequently Asked Questions

Room Amenities
  • SINGLE bed and mattress
  • mattress cover
  • dresser (or equivalent)
  • desk and chair
  • closet
  • mirror
  • bookshelves
  • study lamp
  • wastebasket
  • recycling bin
  • curtains
  • carpeting
  • Each residence room is equipped with a phone (phone service is included in residence fees)
  • Wifi
  • room door locks
House Amenities
  • furnished living space
  • kitchen
  • dishwasher
  • two living rooms
  • dining space
  • 3 full washrooms, one half-bath
  • study space
  • yard space
  • kitchen appliances
  • kitchen cooking equipment and dishware
  • cable TV in both living rooms
  • phone
  • housekeeping services
  • laundry
  • heat and AC controls
  • wifi
Packing Checklist
  • Bed linens – sheets, blankets, comforter or duvet, pillows*
  • Towels
  • Carry case for toiletries
  • CSA surge protected power bar(s)
  • Hangers
  • "Hold It" poster putty, 3M removable hooks
  • Laundry supplies, and laundry bag or basket
  • Photos of friends, family, pets
  • School supplies
  • Illness supplies: medications, tissues, soup, etc.
  • Water bottle
  • Photo ID, SIN card, OHIP card, banking information (bank transit information)

*we provide students arriving from outside Canada with temporary linen for 10 days upon their arrival, to allow them time to purchase their own.

Things to Leave at Home

For your safety, and the safety and well-being of others, leave the following items at home:

  • Air horns
  • Alcohol and cannabis, if you are under 19
  • Bar bells
  • Bottled beer (cans are okay to bring if you are 19+)
  • Candles, incense, hookahs
  • Drinking game tables and equipment
  • Drug and alcohol paraphernalia (funnels, bongs, etc.)
  • Drums
  • Extra furniture
  • Freezers and large fridges (fridges 4.0 cubic feet or smaller are fine)
  • Glow in the dark stickers and paint
  • Large volume alcohol containers (kegs, mini-kegs, Texas Mickies, etc.)
  • Marital arts equipment, decorative, collector or replicas items
  • Microwaves, toasters, toaster oven, open element appliances, indoor grills
  • Pets (including fish)
  • Sound systems with amplifiers, sub-woofers, large speakers, or surround sound
  • Space heaters
  • Sports weapons/guns (including BB guns, pellet, air guns, and paintball guns)
  • Street signs
  • TV screens 42’ inches and larger (smaller TVs are okay to bring)
  • Valuable jewelry

Residents in traditional buildings have a choice of three meal plans.  Meal Plans can be used at the 3 food service locations at King’s, and a portion of each plan can be used at our Off-Campus partners

King’s Locations
  • Thames Market, Wemple Building
  • Subway, Wemple Building
  • Café ’54, King Student Life Centre
Off-Campus Partners
  • Pizza Pizza
  •  Swiss Chalet
  •  K Grill
  •  Mucho Burrito
  • Barakat
More information King's Meal Plans

Students may remain in residence during fall and winter study breaks.  Limited food service is available in designated residence dining locations during these breaks.

Residents can request to stay in residence over for all or part of the Christmas break. A fee of $25 per night is applied. Students who wish to stay for the Christmas holiday must register with the Residence and Campus Life Office by December 1.

Exam Periods

All residents are expected to leave within 24 hours of their last exam in the regularly scheduled December and April exam periods. You may request permission from the Residence and Campus Life Office to stay later than 24 hours after your last exam. Send your request to residence@kings.uwo.ca. Requests must be received prior to the first day of exams.

Your address at King's is:

King’s University College Residence
Box # [your box number] 266 Epworth Ave.
London, ON N6A 2M3

You and your roommate will share a mailbox. You will each have a key to it. The mailboxes are located in Central Services in Wemple, beside the dining hall.

We want all students to feel safe and comfortable on campus and a number of policies are in place to create a safe and welcoming community. [all the below should link to current documents]

Residence Courtesy Practices

Common spaces (lounges, kitchenettes, washrooms, hallways) are for everyone’s use. Do not leave personal items in any of these areas.

Take a moment to clean up any area you have used (ie. put your garbage in the bin before leaving the lounge, do your dishes and wipe off the counter and stove top when you are finished cooking, etc.). Do not leave personal hygiene products (shampoo, soap, towels) in the washrooms.

Social Gatherings

For the safety and security of all residents and guests, the Residence and Campus Life Office has put in place the following guidelines around social gatherings:

Strictly Prohibited:

  • "Public" invitations to unit lounges for party purposes (event posters, Facebook, Twitter, etc.)
  • House parties/gatherings after 11 pm on weekdays, and 12 a.m. on Friday and Saturday

Residence staff will disperse any gathering at any time, if there is a safety concern.

King’s Residence Staff are here to help with any issues that may arise.  International House has a House Coordinator who is there to help the residents.  Your House Coordinator is a great resource.  They will help house residents get to know each other, plan events, inform you about residence events, share their experiences as a student, and be a listening ear.

The RAs and House Coordinators are supported by the Residence and Campus Life Office team:  the Associate Dean of Students, two Residence Managers, and the office secretary.

Housekeeping and maintenance teams keep our residence buildings in great shape. Housekeepers will clean the shared areas of the house on weekdays.

You will develop many new relationships at university, especially in residence. The relationship with your roommate/housemates will be a central one.

The cornerstone of a positive relationship with those with whom you live is communication. Like all relationships, this relationship will require understanding, compromise, respect and flexibility. Getting to know your roommate and housemates,  and discussing important issues is a great way to build a solid foundation.  Your House Coordinator will ask you and your roommate to complete a roommate agreement, and will ask all house members to complete a house agreement in September so you can talk about things that could become issues.

  • It is very normal for a few conflicts to arise when you live with someone for eight months. If you find that your relationship is troubled there are several things you can do:
  • Review your roommate and housemate agreement. Take another look at what you agreed to in September.
  • Talk to your roommate/housemate(s) about the problem (your House Coordinator can offer suggestions on how to do this effectively).
  • Talk to your House Coordinator.

If you are unable to resolve the conflict on your own, your House Coordinator  may be able to help mediate a solution. It is important that everyone make an honest and sincere attempt to resolve differences. A room change will not be authorized until all the above steps have been actively pursued. Residents must have approval from the Residence and Campus Life Office prior to changing rooms.

You may have overnight guests if you complete a Guest Registration Form at the RID. Your roommate must sign the form to show their agreement. Please inform your housemates prior to having overnight guests.

Overnight guests will not be permitted during Orientation Week, exam periods, the last weekend in September, Homecoming weekend, Halloween, St. Patrick’s Day, and Easter weekend. Guests are limited to no more than two consecutive nights, and no more than 10 overnight visits per year. Your guest must complete a Guest Parking Permit Form available from RID or Security to register their vehicle.

Residents are responsible for their guests at all times.