Income Tax

Any money you earn in Canada, including income earned from employment, scholarships, bursaries, assistantships (TA or RA), research grants, or fellowships, is subject to Canadian Income Tax. The deadline to complete and mail your Income Tax forms is midnight April 30th of each year. Due to COVID-19, the deadline for filing your taxes for the 2019 calendar year has been extended to June 1, 2020. See King's International's Income Tax Presentation here.

Every year, the International and Exchange Student Centre at Western also offers Income Tax Information Sessions for International Students. These information sessions are open to all current international students at Western University.

See link for details at:

Applying for a Social Insurance Number

A Social Insurance Number (SIN) is a number the Government of Canada uses in the administration of various government programs and to keep track of income for tax purposes. If you plan to work while in Canada you must have a SIN. You can apply for a SIN online or by mail:

See more information about Social Insurance Numbers: