As an international or exchange student, it is important for you to be aware of immigration regulations governing your stay in Canada. Most students will need a study permit and some will also need a Temporary Resident Visa issued by Canadian Immigration to study in Canada. 


New government regulations for International students came into effect on June 1, 2014. It is your responsibility to become informed and understand the new changes. 

All study permit holders in Canada will need to actively pursue studies. This means that: 

  • If you hold a study permit, you must remain enrolled and make reasonable and timely progress towards completed your program; 
  • Failing to do so could lead to your removal from Canada. 

CIC may ask students directly for verification of enrollment. CIC also requires all educational institutions to report on the status of students who apply for a study permit after May 31, 2014. 

Study Permit

Gives student permission to undertake academic study in Canada. Required for students in programs that are longer than six (6) months in duration. 

For information on applying for a study permit visit: 
It is important to know the expiry date for your study permit. You must obtain an extension of your Study Permit before it expires. For information on extending your study permit see: 

Visitor Visa (Temporary Resident Visa - TRV)

Gives student permission to enter Canada. Not required by all nationalities. A full listing of which countries require entry visas is listed on the Canada Immigration website. A full application package for a temporary resident visa can be downloaded from the Immigration website.

If you are currently outside of Canada, you apply for your visa at the Canadian Visa Office that services your country or region of residence. For a list of visa offices visit:


Students must have a valid passport at all times. If you need to obtain a new passport, it is recommended that you begin this process at least four months before the expiration date.

General Tips

  • Keep copies of all your important documents in a separate location from the originals.
  • When submitting documents to immigration, keep a copy of your full application package.
  • Send your application via courier, and record the confirmation number in a safe place.

Immigration Resources