The Chapel at Windermere on the Mount
The Chapel at Windermere on the Mount, located at 1486 Richmond Street, originally named "Immaculate Conception Chapel," while the facility was used by the Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph as its residence. Today the chapel is used for the community of Christ the King University Parish.
The chapel was consecrated by the Very Reverend V. H. Grespan on June 9, 1954, followed by a Solemn High Mass. It was planned and designed by Mother Margaret Coughlin and the Sisters of St. Joseph along with Philip Carter Johnson. The architect was Peter Tillman of Watt and Tillman of London, Ontario.
Wheat and grape motifs throughout the chapel, which symbolizes the Eucharist, and ten different types of marble were used, along with mosaics from Italy. All of the stained glass windows in the gallery, nave and sanctuary were made by the Guido Polloni company in Florence, Italy from glass procured in Florence and Venice. The windows were shipped to Canada between 1953-1955. More information on the chapel can be found in the book entitled, "Immaculate Conception Chapel", created by The Congregation of the Sisters of St. Joseph in Canada Archives 2017, held in the Office of Campus Ministry.