Veritas Series launches via Zoom with author Jesse Thistle
September 8, 2020
Beginning on September 17, 2020 with the Principal’s Lecture/Sisters of St. Joseph Lecture from author Jesse Thistle, King’s Campus Ministry will launch the 2020-2021 Veritas Series. In past years, many of the lectures have taken place in the Joanne and Peter Kenny Theatre, but this year they will be offered online through Zoom webinars. All those interested in attended are asked to register in advance for each webinar at www.kings.uwo.ca/veritas.
The theme of the 2020-2021 Veritas Series will be “Telling Our Stories.” The Veritas Series will focus on the importance of story to guide and strengthen community.
“In this time of virtual classes and lectures, it is good that we can still take opportunities to pause and consider the many diverse stories that make up our community at King’s. The Veritas lectures highlight the mission of a Catholic university to create a space where faith enriches and guides our response to pressing cultural developments and stories of hope foster resiliency to face the future needs of our world,” says Jim Donovan Panchaud, Pastoral Counsellor at King’s and coordinator of the series
Thistle will present “Finding the Trail: A Métis Life Overcoming Adversity.” This lecture is an autobiographical keynote which explores themes from his debut memoir, From the Ashes. He reflects on his story, one that recounts trauma, addiction, and homelessness. Through his remarks, audiences will hear a deeper story of hope and resilience.
Other speakers in the series will include
- Megan McKenna, Storyteller – Healing Through Story – October 15, 2020
- Kara Sorenson, Feminists for Life – The Cause for Life is a Feminist Cause – October 29, 2020
- Christ the King Lecture: Shane Claiborne, Activist and Author – The Jesus in the World Today – December 3, 2020
- Darren Dias, Dominican Priest – Interreligious Dialogue Today: A Christian Perspective – February 11, 2021
- Ann Garrido, Professor of Homiletics - Allowing God to Fill in the Blanks: Praying with the Women of the New Testament – March 4, 2021
For more information, visit www.kings.uwo.ca/veritas.