Dr. Cathy Chovaz
- Chovaz, C.J. & Daly, B (2017).Social Work Practice with Deaf and Hard of Hearing Individuals.Oxford Bibiographies in Social Work.New York: Oxford University Press.In progress
- Chovaz, C. (2017).Mental Health Care of Deaf People.Psynopsis, 39(2).
Associate Professor / Program Coordinator
Phone: Email Only
E-mail: email@example.comWebsite: http://www.deafkidspsych.com
Ph.D., Clinical Psychology, The University of Western Ontario
M.A., Clinical Psychology, The University of Western Ontario
B.Sc.N., Nursing, The University of Western Ontario
Research and Scholarly Interests
- Mental Health Functioning of Deaf and Hard of Hearing School-Aged Children in Ontario
- Deaf Children and Autism Spectrum Disorder
- American Sign Language Interpreters and Mental Health Settings
Frequently Taught Courses
- Child Psychopathology (3364F/G)
- Abnormal Psychopathology (3311)
- Clinical Practicum (4692F/G)
- Introduction to Clinical Skills (2301A/B)
- Mental Health and Deafness
- Du Feu, M. & Chovaz, C. (2014). Mental health and deafness. NW: Oxford University Press.
- Chovaz, C.J. & Daly, B (2017). Social Work Practice with Deaf and Hard of Hearing Individuals. Oxford Bibiographies in Social Work. New York: Oxford University Press. In progress
- Chovaz, C. (2017). Mental Health Care of Deaf People. Psynopsis, 39(2).
- Chovaz, C.J. (2013). Intersectionality: Mental Health Interpreters and Clinicians or Finding the “sweet spot” in therapy. International Journal on Mental Health and Deafness; 3(1).
- Chovaz. C., (2013) . Report of a Deaf Child with Tourette's Disorder. The Journal of Deaf Studies and Deaf Education 2; Mar 26.doi: 10.1093/deafed/ent014
- Chovaz, C.J., Anderson, M. & Goldstein, G.M. (2011). Autism Spectrum Disorder: A resource for parents, teachers and clinicians working with D/deaf and hard of hearing children with ASD. London, ON: Kings University College at UWO.
- Chovaz, C.J. (2011). The Differences in Our Similarities. Journal of Deaf Studies and Deaf Education 2011; doi: 10.1093/deafed/enr002.
- Murray, J.B., Klinger, L., Chovaz McKinnon, C. (2007). The Deaf: An exploration of their participation in community life. Occupational Therapy Journal of Research, 27.
- Chovaz, C., Moran, G. & Pederson, D. (2004). Attachment representations of deaf adults. The Journal of Deaf Studies and Deaf Education, 9(4).
- Chovaz, C. (2001). Deafness is not a disease. The Health Journal, 5(4), 34.
Presentations and Invited Talks
- 2017 Mental Health and Deaf People.Invited lecture to the Western Senior Alumni Program, London, Ontario. https://youtu.be/OrhykotEC4o
- 2017 Life Stories – Mental Health and Deafness.Invited Keynote presentation. Deaf Cultural Festival, Bergen, Norway.
- 2016 Mental Health and Deaf People – What are the Facts? Invited keynote presentation. 5th World Federation of the Deaf Asia Conference, Singapore.
- 2016 Mental Health and Deaf People. Invited keynote presentation.Inclusive Communities Summit, St. John’s, Newfoundland.
- 2015 Mental Health of Deaf Children & Adults. Invited keynote presentation.XVII World Congress of the World Federation of the Deaf, Istanbul, Turkey.
- 2015 ASL Consultation on Wellness. Invited Keynote presentation.Newfoundland Labrador Association of the Deaf, St. John’s, Newfoundland.
- 2015 Deaf Children and Mental Health.Invited keynote presentation. Canadian Association of Educators of Deaf and Hard of Hearing Children.Vancouver, British Columbia.
- 2015 Mental Health and Deaf Children – Dancing in the Rain.Invited Keynote presentation. Canadian Association of Educators of Deaf and Hard of Hearing Children – Manitoba Chapter. Winnipeg, Manitoba.
- 2015 Mental Health and Deaf Children.Invited Keynote presentation. MentalHealth Conference, Deaf Manitoba Inc., Winnipeg, Manitoba.
- 2014 The Right to Language and Implications for Mental Health.Invited PlenaryPresentation.6th World Congress on Mental Health and Deafness, Belfast, Ireland.
- 2014 Mental Health - What do Intervenors need to know?One day workshop.Emergency Intervenor Services Program, CNIB Deafblind Services, Toronto, Ontario
- 2013 International Women’s Day, Kings University College, WesternUniversity, London, Ontario
- 2011 Deaf Children and Mental Health. Invited Colloqium speaker, Dept. of Psychology, Guelph University, Guelph, Ontario