Welcoming partners in Catholic education
November 15, 2019
King’s welcomed representatives from Catholic school boards and organizations from across Ontario as part of the Catholic Educational Partnership Meeting on November 14, 2019. This annual meeting brings together many of our Catholic partners in education.
The event provided an opportunity for our Catholic education partners to provide updates and hear from King’s representatives.
Marilyn Mason, Vice-Principal, Enrolment Services and Strategic Partnership, welcomed the visiting representatives. “King’s is extremely fortunate to collaborate with many excellent Catholic partners including school boards, educational organizations, the Institute of Catholic Education and the Diocese of London. These partners are critical to the realization of our mission and goals,” says Mason.
Rev. Michael Bechard, Director of Campus Ministry, provided the opening prayer and described the many activities of his team as well as the various resources and opportunities for King’s partners. Dr. David Malloy, King’s Principal, shared his experience of his first four months at King’s and his excitement for its future.
A comprehensive and full agenda included updates from the Institute for Catholic Education, Catholic Principals’ Council of Ontario, Ontario Catholic School Trustees’ Association, Ontario Catholic Supervisory Officers’ Association, Catholic Curriculum Corporation and the Diocese of London. In addition, the Directors of Education shared the goals and strategies of their Catholic school boards. Reports from the Bruce Grey, Dufferin-Peel, Durham, Halton, Hamilton Wentworth, Huron Perth, London District, St. Clair, Waterloo and Wellington Catholic School Boards provided inspiring insights into the vitality of Catholic Education in Ontario.
Professor Bret Babington, Service Learning Coordinator for the Catholic Studies for Teachers (CST) program at King’s discussed its structure and Victoria Goldsack, a 3rd year CST student talked about the great combination of courses and placements in schools. Dr. Mark Yenson, Chair of the Department of Religious Studies provided an overview of the degree programs within the department as well as its mission and aspirations for their students. In the final report, Dr. Tracy Cunningham, Associate Registrar gave an update on King’s Catholic Recruitment Outreach and thanked the partners for their support of the program as well as invited their feedback and involvement in both our local, national and international activities.
The visiting attendees included:
- Chris Roehrig, Director of Education, Huron Perth Catholic District School Board
- Loretta Notten, Director of Education, Waterloo Catholic District School Board
- Anne O’Brien, Director of Education, Durham Catholic District School Board
- Linda Staudt, Director of Education, London District Catholic School Board
- Tamara Nugent, Director of Education, Wellington Catholic District School Board
- Debra Crawford, Director of Education, St. Clair Catholic District School Board
- Corrado Ciapanna, Superintendent, Hamilton Wentworth Catholic District School Board
- Gary O’Donnell, Director of Education, Bruce Grey Catholic District School Board
- Carmel Murphy, Superintendent, Dufferin-Peel Catholic District School Board
- Lorrie Naar, Superintendent, Halton Catholic District School Board
- Annalisa Varano, President, Catholic Principals’ Council of Ontario
- Michael Pautler, Executive Director, Institute for Catholic Education
- Grant McMurray, Curriculum Manager, Catholic Curriculum Corporation
- Joe Bezzina, Director of Pastoral Services, Diocese of London
- Lorrie Naar, President, Ontario Catholic Supervisory Officers’ Association
- Bill Hall, Ontario Catholic School Trustees’ Association
- Joe Geiser, Executive Director, Catholic Principals’ Council of Ontario
- Annalisa Varano, Executive Council member, Catholic Principals’ Council of Ontario