Support for students during the final stretch
April 9, 2019
Written by Leo Aul, Communications Intern
King’s will be offering several resources and tools, including Supported Study Spaces and 24/7 study hall, to assist our students during the period of final exams, essays and projects.
On April 10, students can take advantage of three Supported Study Spaces in the Student Life Centre, running from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.:
- Word Count Meeting Place: In KC 004, students can receive help from The Write Place in finalizing essays and learn techniques they can apply.
- Study Strategies Space: In KC 005, students can learn tips and tricks to help manage the different types of exams from Learning Skills Strategist Adrienne Sauder and Senior Peer Learning Coaches.
- Distraction-Free Zone: In KC 006, students can study without cell-phones or other devices distracting them while being hosted by KAMP mentors.
“Based on feedback from students, they wanted more help with essays and study strategies. When deciding to implement more study spaces, we listened to what students told us and put it into practice. If our students need assistance, we are here to help them through that process by providing the tools to help them finish off the year strong and use moving forward,” says Joe Henry, Dean of Students.
Along with these supported study spaces, King’s has 24/7 Study Hall and other services to support students during the exam season:
- Student Life Centre (SLC): Starting April 10, the SLC will be open 6 a.m. to midnight each night and there are designated quiet study hours from midnight to 8 a.m. Also, take advantage of the Games Room as a nice study break location.
- Cardinal Carter Library: The Library will operate under extended hours, 8 a.m. to midnight from April 7 to 30.
- King’s/Brescia Shuttle Schedule Updated: Starting April 10 from Monday to Friday only, buses will be available throughout the day.
- Taxi Service Chit Available: Pick up at a taxi chit to cover $11 of your ride for transportation between 10:30 p.m. to 8 a.m.
- Western Foot Patrol Safety Support: Starting April 10 from 9 p.m. to 1 a.m., there are safe walks available on the main campus and all affiliate college locations, along with some off-campus locations. To book one, call 519-661-3650 or download the app available on both the Apple App Store and Android Play Store.
- Food Services Hours Updated: Starting April 11, the Thames Market, Café 54, and Subway will be available for energy during exams.
- Mental Health and Wellness Resources: Student Affairs has provided information on how to take care of your wellness using resources King’s offers.
- Personal Counselling Services: Available Monday to Friday from 1:30 to 3:30 p.m. in Wemple 151 or by appointment.
- The Write Place: Need help with final essays or how to prepare for exam essays? Visit KC 113 for assistance starting April 15 from 10:30 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Monday to Friday. Book an appointment in KC 113 or online.
- Ask Joe: Joe Henry, Dean of Students will be hosting his last “Ask Joe” of the academic year in the Student Life Centre on April 18 for any questions or suggestions students have for next year.
King’s has many study spaces, resources and services to help make this April a place for students to become successful as they take their next steps.