Recipients of King's Research Excellence Awards 2022
March 29, 2022
A message from Dr. David Malloy, King's President:
On behalf of the King’s Research Activities Committee, I am happy to inform you that, after a peer-review process, the Committee has selected recipients for the inaugural King’s Research Excellence Fund Program, valued at $1M. King’s will annually provide research funding of up to $60,000 for projects conducted by our faculty that align with our mission.
The awarding of the Research Excellence funds is a momentous occasion for King’s. It demonstrates our firm commitment to and support for research. I am so very proud that we have taken this bold step toward building an already impressive research culture. Sincere congratulations to this year’s winners. Your outstanding scholarship reflects so well on this outstanding university.
King’s Research Excellence Chair (Early-Career) - $45,000 ($15k/year for 3 years):
- Dr. Bharati Sethi, Associate Professor, School of Social Work – “Experiences of Muslim Immigrant Parents of Children with Disabilities during the COVID-19 Pandemic: A Photovoice Study”
King’s Research Excellence Chair (Established) – $45,000 ($15k/year for 3 years)
- Dr. Joseph Michalski, Professor, Department of Sociology – “Couples’ Conflict Resolution Strategies: The Social Structure and Interpersonal Dynamics of Violent and Non-Violent Encounters”
King’s Research Excellence Scholar Grants - $10,000/year for 1 year
- Dr. Andrea Lawlor, Associate Professor, Department of Political Science – “A Lack of Time, Money and Resources: Analysing the Systematic and Situational Factors Contributing to Burnout Among Ontario Midwives”
- Dr. Corina Sandu, Associate Professor, Department of English, French, and Writing – “Les débuts de la presse en français en Indochine [The Beginnings of the French Press in Indochina]”
- Dr. Tom Malleson, Associate Professor, Department of Social Justice and Peace Studies – “Economic Hierarchy or Democracy: Should Large Firms be Governed Through Codetermination?”
As you can see by these outstanding research topics, we are further in alignment with a major component of our strategic plan: research excellence. Further, this research will also engage our students who will have increased opportunities to work with their faculty, gaining valuable experience.
King’s will continue to build and recognize our long tradition of outstanding and impactful research. Thank you to all who applied for these competitive awards. Thank you to the King’s Research Activities Committee and external peer reviewers for their hard work in selecting these deserving scholars.