First Generation Program
Fall/Winter First Generation Program
Opens Aug 1 - students are considered on a first come, first serve basis
Purpose and Scope:
The main objective of the First Generation Program is to provide direct support to students who are the first in their families to attend post-secondary. The program allows students to gain valuable work experience during the school year. Students will work up to 15 hours per week, at a pay rate of $12.00/hour which includes 4% vacation pay.
- Student whose parent(s)/guardian(s) has/have not attended a postsecondary institution. If a sibling of student has attended a postsecondary institution, but the parent(s)/guardian(s) have not, the student is still considered First Generation.
- Must be considered an Ontario resident (resident of Ontario for minimum of 12 months prior to your first day of study at King’s)
- Must be a full time undergraduate student at King's University College (min 60% course load or 40% if you have a permanent disability) during upcoming academic year
- Must maintain a minimum of a C average
- Must be available to work from September - March, regular working hours per job descriptions.
How to Apply
1. Submit your application starting August 1st.
- Download and print the application here.
- Complete the application and submit it, with required documentation, to the King’s Student Financial Services Office in the Wemple Hall (Room W144).
- You will receive notice by e-mail if you meet all the requirements of the program.
2. Find a job
- Jobs are posted on the King’s Employment Opportunities page. After your application is approved you will be given a username and password to access the site and choose a position.
- You will have to apply for available positions and arrange an interview.
- If you do not obtain a position and submit a completed contract within two weeks, your application will be cancelled and your funds will be allocated to another student.
3. Arrange your contract
- If you are offered a position, you must present your supervisor with your contract and have him/her sign it.
- Once the contract is completed by both you and your supervisor, bring the following to Student Financial Services BEFORE you begin working:
- Your signed, completed contract
- Completed tax forms which will be sent to you by email
- A void cheque for your mandatory direct deposit payroll.
- Your Social Insurance Card
4. Start Work
- Before you can begin working you must have completed the previous steps.
- You must advise Student Financial Services, in writing, of any changes to your course load and/or financial situation.
- Time sheets must be submitted every Monday by noon, by your supervisor, to the Student Financial Services Office, to avoid lapses in your payroll deposit.
Students working under the Ontario Work Study Plan are classified as part-time employees of King’s University College and will receive a T-4 slip. These positions carry with them all the responsibilities associated with any employee/employer relationship. Therefore, it is essential that you:
- Establish a clear understanding of the hours and days to be worked along with a mutual understanding of your duties and responsibilities.
- Notify your supervisor of any changes to your agreed hours of employment.
- Provide your supervisor with hours worked on a weekly basis.
- Notify the Student Financial Services Office if you withdraw from the program, in order to make your remaining funds available to other students.
If you have any questions please contact Natalie Walzak, Assistant Student Financial Services Officer, firstname.lastname@example.org or 519-433-3491 ext.4355